Ginkgo biloba, or “Maidenhair Tree” is a species of a tree native to China that has been highly sought after for many centuries. It has been historically known to have healing properties that can improve mental health, vision, anxiety, blood circulation, and much more.
Ginkgo biloba is the only remaining species within the Gingophta that is not extinct. Because it is the only surviving member of this family of plants, the leaves and seeds were often extracted and used in traditional Chinese medicine. Nowadays, modern research of this plant mainly focuses on ginkgo extract, which is from the leaves. As a result of this, ginkgo appears to be safe and well tolerated when taken in modest amounts. Many studies have also shown this plant to be beneficial to our health.
Eight Benefits of Ginkgo Biloba
- Contains powerful antioxidants and immunity. Ginkgo has high levels of flavonoids and terpenoids, which are compounds known for having strong antioxidant properties.
- Can help fight inflammation. Research has shown that ginkgo extract can reduce inflammation and strengthen the immune system in both human and animal cells.
- Improves blood circulation and heart health. Ginkgo biloba has been proven to increase blood flow in various parts of the body. Studies have shown that this can be very positive for heart health and brain health.
- Improves overall well-being. Based on the benefits we’ve found so far, ginkgo has been found to potentially increase mental performance and well-being which is why it has become a popular supplement.
- Reduces anxiety. A handful of studies have shown that participants of test studies indicated feelings of stress and anxiety relief. Animal studies have also shown a positive result too.
- Supports vision and eye health. Many of the positive results stem from ginkgo’s ability to increase blood flow to the eyes.
- Improves headaches. Traditionally, many people have historically used ginkgo as a headache remedy, especially in Chinese medicine.
- Helps to alleviate depression. Research has indicated that people who supplement with ginkgo saw signs of reduced stress and depression. This may very well be related to its anti-inflammatory properties.
Upon further research into the benefits of ginkgo biloba, it’s important to note that while many of these results are positive and encouraging, more research is needed.
Ginkgo Biloba Supplement Forms
Ginkgo Biloba is commonly available in the following forms:
- Liquid extracts
- Dried leaves
Please note that ginkgo seeds should not be eaten, as they are poisonous.
Potential Side Effects
When supplementing with ginkgo, research has shown that most side effects of this plant tends to be very mild. While the occurrence of these symptoms are rare, please seek help from a doctor, or stop supplementing with ginkgo if you are experiencing the following:
- Upset stomach
Ginkgo biloba is a popular dietary supplement that has very strong anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, as well as an ability to improve blood circulation in various parts of the body. Together, the benefits of ginkgo biloba are remarkably impressive. While ginkgo has been used for many centuries, it’s important to keep in mind that more research is still needed to be done as our science continues to improve. For this reason, it is important to talk to your doctor or a nutritionist before including gingko into your diet.
Supplement with Can-i Wellness
If you are looking for the perfect oral spray supplement that has ginkgo biloba among its ingredients, Can-i Mend is a hangover supplement that works to accelerate your body’s natural healing process after a long night out. Studies have discovered that ginkgo biloba seeds help the body process alcohol much better.
Ginkgo biloba can also be found in Can-i Sleep. Not only does it help to improve circulation, research suggests that consuming ginkgo within an hour before bed can help reduce stress, enhance relaxation and promote sleep.
At Can-i Wellness, our oral spray supplements are scientifically formulated with all natural ingredients for a faster, better way to energize, recover, relax and sleep. We support your health and wellness journey and want you to #FeelAmazing!