Getting good quality sleep often starts with good sleep practices and healthy habits. However, for some people, that’s just not enough. If you find yourself following the usual tips such as having a regular sleep schedule, avoiding caffeine, and exercising regularly, and you still can’t seem to sleep peacefully at night, it might be time to try some non-habit forming herbal sleep aids for support. But here’s what you need to know:
Natural Sleep Aids Are Not Magic
There are many sleep aids available without a prescription and many of them are natural, fast-acting, non-habit forming, and extremely effective for an occasional sleepless night. However, there are a few precautions you should take into consideration. For example, some sleep aids that are available without a prescription can leave you feeling groggy when you wake up depending on the ingredients and your body’s unique reaction to them. Medication interactions are possible as well. That’s why it’s important to do your research and also consider speaking with a healthcare professional to see if the natural sleep aid might interact with other medications or underlying conditions.
Non-prescription herbal sleep aids might be a temporary solution for sleep problems, but they aren’t usually intended for long-term use. One of the best ways is to develop better sleep habits and healthier lifestyle choices. This includes paying attention to what you eat and drink, limiting daytime naps and including physical activity into your daily routine. Being active and productive plays a huge part in how to get better sleep, whether that’s going on walks more often, picking up a sport or hitting the gym more frequently.
Tips for Improving Sleep Hygiene
- Consistency is key. Go to bed at the same time each night and make sure to get up at the same time each morning. This same rule applies to weekends too.
- Make sure your bedroom is quiet, dark and relaxing.
- Room temperature should be set to approximately 65 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Avoid large meals, caffeine and alcohol before bedtime.
- Getting some exercise during the day can help you fall asleep more easily at night.
- Stay away from electronic devices, such as TVs, computers and smartphones before going to sleep.
Finding new sleep solutions, improving your sleep hygiene and changing your sleeping environment are the best ways to achieve quality sleep. If these tips don’t seem to be doing the trick, we recommend using natural sleep aids to help give you the push you need to get yourself snoozing.
Using Herbal Sleep Aids
Natural sleep aids are over-the-counter supplements intended to help you fall asleep faster, or stay asleep throughout the night so that you can feel well rested and awake the next day. On top of that, getting insufficient sleep has been linked to a higher risk of some health conditions including heart disease, diabetes, obesity, and more. That’s why it’s so important to find the right herbal sleep solution to help yourself get better sleep. Here are a few recommendations:
- Melatonin is highly recommended for people who are trying to reset their circadian rhythm. This often applies to those who suffer from sleep deprivation, have a delayed sleep-wake phase disorder, or for those whose circadian rhythm is compromised by jet lag and changes in their work shifts.
- Lavender is a popular fragrant garden and kitchen herb that has been known to aid relaxation and improve sleep. For example, many people who use lavender essential oils have supported its claim to have a soothing effect that reduces restlessness.
- Passionflower is known for its historical use as a sedative by many indigenous cultures. For centuries, many people have claimed that Passionflower has improved their sleep quality. Extracts and tea are both common forms of passionflower.
- Sour Cherry is also known as tart cherry and it often comes in the form of juice. It has been said to help raise melatonin levels and is an amino acid that can potentially play a role in improving quality sleep. The juice, however, is extremely sour and is usually diluted with water.
Where Can I Find Safe Natural Sleep Aids?
By doing your research beforehand and being a cautious shopper, you can reduce the risk of taking mislabeled supplements on the market. Start by looking carefully at the product’s ingredient list and finding more information about the manufacturer of a natural sleep aid to know about the testing and safety standards.
As a leading wellness company that produces high-quality, third-party lab-tested products, Can-i Wellness’ four unique experiences are precisely created to fulfill the demands of both athletes and health enthusiasts. Combining vitamins, nutraceuticals, and herbal extracts into their offerings, the products are designed to function together to provide the best experience possible, resulting in optimal health benefits.
If you are in search of natural sleep aid alternatives, Can-i Sleep sleep solutions contain melatonin, GABA, 5-HTP, lavender flower, hops and much more as a means of helping you fall asleep and stay asleep. By taking Can-i Sleep when it’s time to go to bed, you’ll be able to wake up refreshed, restored and perfectly well rested.