We’ve all been there before. The headache, the nausea, the vomiting, and the fuzzy memories. These are only but a few of the many dreaded symptoms of a hangover. But don’t worry, this article maps out the why, the how and the perfect solution for you.
How Do Hangovers Affect the Body and Brain?
Ideally, you shouldn’t drink to excess in the first place, as alcohol should be consumed in moderation. But nonetheless, sometimes we lose track of our drinks, overindulge and hangovers happen. That’s why we’re going to look into what causes hangover nausea and how to rid yourself of this terrible feeling fast.
What Causes this Nauseous Feeling?
Alcohol affects the brain, the liver, the kidneys, the heart, blood vessels, the lining of the stomach and many other hormonal and regulatory systems. It sure sounds scary, but this is because alcohol is a toxic substance, hence the word “intoxicated.”
Another reason is because alcohol contains ethanol, and ethanol intoxication in the brain can cause people to feel relaxed and happy, which is a big reason as to why we drink in the first place. But with increased alcohol consumption, you might find your vision blurring, your reactions becoming slower, and your balance becoming unsteady and uncoordinated. When you start to lose your inhibitions, you’ll find yourself facing the consequences of drinking which can result in vertigo, confusion, lethargy, memory loss, stupor, slowed breathing and of course, nausea and vomiting.
How Long Will My Hangover Last and What Should I Avoid?
Hangovers can last up to 72 hours, but most are shorter in duration. It really depends on how much alcohol was consumed, how dehydrated you became, your nutritional status, gender, state of your liver and so on. Our bodies are different and so our reactions will be different.
If you feel like you’ve overdone your night and you are suffering from serious hangover nausea, here’s some advice on what to avoid as you recover:
- Avoid more alcohol. Consuming more alcohol as a way to reduce hangover symptoms is also known as “hair of the dog” approach. Trust us, it will only increase your misery and prolong your hangover.
- Avoid further dehydration. Whether it’s water, chicken soup, or Gatorade, your body will need more liquid to replenish fluid and mineral loss.
- Avoid acetaminophen. This can over-tax your liver, leading to serious swelling or liver problems.
- Avoid unpalatable foods such as eggs, raw fish, Tabasco and sausage. These types of foods are not healthy even when you aren’t hungover, and your body will have an even more difficult time stomaching them when you do.
How Hangover Nausea and Headaches Happen
By understanding what causes hangover nausea, you can learn the preventative steps in reducing or preventing it. Let’s take a dive into the causes.
- Alcohol is an irritant to your stomach. Your stomach lining serves as the first line of defense against alcoholic gastritis. And gastritis occurs when your stomach lining has been damaged, often resulting in inflammation. This happens when you drink too much. The upside is that acute gastritis is temporary and will fade in time. In the meantime, don’t be too surprised if you are feeling stomach pain and nausea after drinking.
- Toxin build-up of acetaldehyde and liver damage. When you drink an alcoholic beverage, it immediately begins to absorb into your bloodstream, partly from your stomach and more actively from your small intestine. Your body will then break down the alcohol into other substances. What we really need to look out for, is your liver. In your liver, alcohol is converted first into acetaldehyde, and later into acetate which can be up to 30 times more toxic than alcohol itself. Keep in mind our bodies can absorb alcohol much faster than it can metabolize it, and this is exactly when toxins will begin to build up and convert into acetaldehyde. It is because the liver can only process a limited amount of alcohol, approximately one standard drink of alcohol every hour, that we will start feeling nauseous.
- Mild dehydration. When you drink, you lose electrolytes which can cause an imbalance in your system, leading to feelings of fatigue, dizziness, nausea, and cramping. Finding ways to restore and replace lost electrolytes will get you back on the mend faster. Studies show that drinking electrolyte-rich drinks can help restore important minerals in your body such as sodium, potassium, and calcium. Or you can simply drink lots of water to restore hydration.
How to Eliminate your Hangover Nausea
Alcohol can cause inflammation to your stomach lining, leading to nausea and vomiting, and it also causes your stomach to produce excess acid, further contributing to other hangover symptoms. To help reduce this inflammation and excess acid production (and your hangover nausea), we’ve created a list of hangover remedies.
- Ginger: Since the olden days, people have taken ginger to reduce nausea and vomiting. Research has shown that consuming ginger, tangerine pith, and brown sugar before drinking can potentially help decrease hangover nausea and vomiting. It is one of the best natural remedies for soothing an upset stomach and aids in digestion. Ginger can reduce vomiting and is a great addition to tea or smoothies.
- Antacids: If your stomach lining is upset, over-the-counter antacids such as Tums and Pepto-Bismol can help relieve an upset stomach.
- Bland Foods: Stay away from greasy foods, and eat bland foods such as bananas, rice, applesauce, toast, and crackers to help ease your stomach discomfort. Your stomach will tolerate these options much more. Avoid strong smells that may trigger nausea, eat slowly, and opt for room temperature or colder foods. If you’re not in the mood for solid foods, then try blending a healthy smoothie with fruits, greens, Greek yogurt, and almond milk. Fruit and vegetable smoothies are full of antioxidants, which can mitigate inflammatory effects of alcohol.
- Sleep and Rest: When you’re feeling nauseous, sometimes the best medicine is to rest more. Hitting the sheets and getting a few more hours of sleep, is one of the most restorative remedies. Hangovers tend to impair sustained attention and negatively impact everyday tasks. And these negative effects can cause you to be even more prone to a depressive, irritable state when you continue to have poor sleep.
- Vitamin B Supplementation: Supplements are a great way to gain back all the healthy and important vitamins you are prone to losing after a long night out that involves alcohol. Taking B vitamins can help restore your energy, brain function and nervous system to keep them functioning properly. For example, taking Vitamin B6 before drinking can be helpful, as it has anti-inflammatory effects. All in all, a depletion of Vitamin B can cause you to feel nauseated and have low energy levels.
- L-Cysteine: L-Cysteine can detoxify the body from acetaldehyde buildup. Many new studies point to this as a potential hangover cure. People who reportedly took L-Cysteine supplements after drinking reported lower levels of nausea, headaches, and anxiety the next morning. Taking L-Cysteine is also great for liver support.
- Cani-Mend: L-Cysteine can be found in our Cani-Mend oral supplement sprays, as well as various A, B, and E vitamins. Cani-Mend is a natural replenishment that provides after-party liver support and works fast to relieve hangovers. It is all-natural, vegan, non-GMO, and completely free of sugar and allergens. Loaded with 11 vitamins, nutraceuticals, and herbal extracts, it’s perfect for combating headaches, sickness, and lack of energy after a night of having too many drinks. Cani-Mend is guaranteed to help accelerate your body’s natural healing process as a convenient, fast-acting, and effective hangover remedy. Some of the key ingredients include: Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, L-Cysteine, Glycine and much more.
Cani-Wellness for Morning Recovery
Cani-Wellness is the trusted sports, fitness and wellness line recognized for supplement products that really work. Cani-Boost, Cani-Mend, Cani-Fresh and Cani-Sleep are used by professional athletes, trainers, and television personalities to feel amazing while on the go. Our products offer four convenient natural remedies jam-packed with over 50 vitamins, herbal extracts, and nutraceuticals, scientifically formulated to work better together. Whether it’s boosting your energy, alleviating hangovers, relieving stress, and enabling better sleep, Cani-Wellness offers a solution for you. These oral sprays are fast-acting, effective, and work almost instantly when you feel less than your best. Just uncap, shake, and spray inside your cheek or under your tongue. They even taste great!